The Fossils in the Classroom teaching kit includes a collection of fossils and supporting lesson plans that allow teachers and students hands-on experience in Paleontology. The overall goal of this project is to address the following curriculum standard:
Standards/Essential Learnings (page 72, CDE Colorado Academic Standards)
Content Area: Science
Standard: 2. Life Science
Grade Level Expectations: Fourth Grade
Concepts and skills students master:
- Comparing fossils to each other or to living organisms reveals features of prehistoric environments and provides information about organisms today.
The activities are structured as classroom investigations, each with a unique theme that utilizes different fossil and cast material from the kit.
Students will be able to:
- Use evidence to develop a scientific explanation for:
- What fossils tell us about a prehistoric environment
- What conclusions can be drawn from similarities between fossil evidence and living organisms
- Analyze and interpret data to generate evidence about the prehistoric environment.
- Evaluate whether reasoning and conclusions about given fossils are supported by evidence